Sunday, January 31, 2010

Celts, Pirates, and Polka Dots, OH MY!

It's been my intent over the past week to work on painting some more wood signs for my shop. I like to make jewelry, but Etsy is pretty inundated with jewelry as it is, and I'm not sure I have what it takes to really be competitive in that market. I am pretty good at painting, and I like to make fun signs, so it is my hope that one day, lots of homes will have an Ashley's Crescent Moon original. Some projects I have finished this week definitely run the gamut when it comes to subject matter.

CELTS
I listed two signs this week with a Celtic motif. They both have the same design, but one is black while the other is green. They feature a Celtic knot and the Gaelic words, "Cead Maile Failte," which means "A thousand welcomes." The custom order I did earlier this week was for this same design in a neutral brown tone. Anyway, I got the idea from a sign I saw on The Pyramid Collection's website, which featured the same Gaelic phrase on a slate plaque.

Pyramid Collection's sign can also be personalized. Pretty cool, no? My signs are quite a bit different. You can see in the two photos below:

I like how they turned out, especially the black one (I favor black quite a bit in both decor and dress). However, until the green one sells, it is being displayed in my living room because it matches my curtains :). Both my husband and I have Irish in our blood, so it works out nicely for the time being.

PIRATES
A long time ago I saw a sign that made me laugh out loud. It read, "The beatings will continue until morale improves." Now, I don't know where this phrase originated, though it does sound kind of piratey. Morale is very important on a ship, and I can see some hard-nosed pirate captain threatening to beat his crew into happiness. This is what my sign will be all about. It will be black, sanded for an aged effect, and will feature the Calico Jack flag (pictured above) at the top with the words, "The floggings will continue until morale improves." I chose "floggings" because the word is funny to me, plus it seems to fit the pirate vernacular. I don't have the sign done right now, but I'm hoping to have it finished and listed by early next week.

POLKA DOTS
I am not, and have never been, a girly girl. That said, I do have my moments, and I had one of those moments this week. I was reading on the Etsy forums that aqua and hot pink is going to be the hot new color combination this spring/summer. This strikes me as funny, because I've been seeing this color combo for a while now, especially in quirky decor and gifts that are intended for fun-loving, cocktail drinking, fashion following glamor girls. At any rate, I decided to jump on this band wagon by painting a totally cute sign featuring the famous quote by the duchess of Winsor, "You can never be too rich or too thin." I even made a sparkly fun beaded wire hanger to go with it.


I haven't listed this sign yet, mainly because I need to determine an appropriate listing price, but I also hope to have this one up for sale by the end of the coming week.

Anyway, that's what's been going on behind the scenes at the Crescent Moon Shop! Check back in to see what else I've got in store!

No comments: