Friday, January 15, 2010

Collecting Rocks

As a child, I collected rocks: big rocks, little rocks, shiny rocks, rough rocks, rocks in all colors. I especially liked the granite chips in the gravel paths all around my elementary school. I remember how interesting I found the gray and white speckles, how much I liked the rough texture, and how I especially prized the ones with shiny metallic flecks. I would come home, my pockets loaded down with my treasured finds, and then dump them all on the floor to pick out which ones I would display on my dresser. Mom would eventually convince me to purge most of my collection, lest my room begin to look like a quarry.

When I got older, I learned to be a little more selective in my rock collecting ventures. When I traveled somewhere new, I would look for a special rock to remind me of my trip. Back home, I would only pick up a rock if it had unique features, such as a neat shape, an interesting texture, or unusual coloring. Today, I still pick up a rock if it looks cool, but my tastes lean toward crystal rock formations.

Recently my eye for rocks has led me to create a few necklaces that I just think are the bee's knees. The first is a large, rough amethyst on a rope chain.

I love the natural feel of the rough stone, and just look at how the light plays off it. Beautiful! My second creation I really love. I actually had to convince myself to list it instead of keeping it!


This one is just right up my alley. The stone I used for the pendant has some really cool markings and coloration. Combine that with the chocolate brown, braided leather cord, and it is a totally earthy, natural, and just plain beautiful piece of jewelry.

On an unrelated note, I've been trying to improve the quality of my pictures. I took these photos outside yesterday, and I think they look much better than my previous listings' pictures. It's kind of nice to have a naturally white background with the snow on the ground, and the fallen branch in my backyard provided some additional interest.

I've got a few more rock necklaces that I'd like to list in the near future, so keep checking back to see what I've dug up from the rock pile!