Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Eco Action

Today I did a little project that was good for the environment. The home my husband and I are currently renting is a single-wide, early nineties model mobile home. I don't know how much you guys know about mobile homes, but they're notorious for not exactly being the most energy-efficient homes on the planet, and the older they are, the worse they are about their wastefulness. So it goes with our home. The closets, although they are on exterior walls, don't seem to be insulated at all, and there's a very noticeable temperature difference when you open the doors. There's also a very large gap between the bottom of the closet doors and the floor. When I say large, I'm talking, like, four inches or so. So yeah, all that summer heat is just billowing from the closets into the bedrooms, and our poor AC is having enough of a time trying to keep up with the NC summer. (We're not even in the hottest part of the year yet, yikes!) I figured I'd help out our AC and, hopefully, the utility bill by making a draft blocker. This will help year-round to keep things an even temperature. These are pretty eco-friendly projects in general, but mine is extra green because of what it's made of. You can tell from the picture that it's denim. This is actually a pant leg from one of my old pairs of jeans that got a hole in a place that's not stylish. The cool thing is I stuffed it with packing peanuts that I had from a package that was mailed to me two Christmases ago. I hate styrofoam, and throwing it in the trash makes me cry because I know it will just sit in a landfill for eons (or however long it takes to finally break down). So yeah, hooray for no styrofoam in landfills! Styrofoam has pretty good insulation properties, so I'm sure it will help my draft blocker do its job well. That's my environmentally good deed for the day. Did you do anything good for the Earth today? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

1 comment:

Sage said...

BONUS! Sure hope it helps with the electric!