Saturday, November 30, 2013

Picture Blog Time! More Paintings!

Here are some more photos of oil paintings I've done using the Bob Ross wet-on-wet technique:

This was the first painting I attempted on my own. I used my lovely new paints and brushes that I got as a birthday gift from my wonderful husband. The picture was inspired by one on the Bob Ross website called "Winter Glow." (Full instructions here.) It's not exactly the same; I couldn't paint that cabin for the life of me. I am satisfied with it though, especially as a first lone attempt.
This painting is from my final class with Melody. I desperately wanted to do this painting because I knew that it would make an excellent gift for my mother who loves lighthouses. It turned out fantastic, except that the reflection of the lighthouse doesn't quite line up with the actual lighthouse. (Shh! Don't tell anyone!) I still think it looks awesome, and I know my mother will be pleased.

This painting started out as a seascape for my sister and her husband. However, I messed up the sky quite early on by adding too much yellow. Instead of scraping off all the paint and re-priming the canvas, I decided to roll with the yellowy sky, and this is what I ended up with - a pretty spiffy desert scene. This is a 100% Ashley original, and I like it. Like Bob Ross said, "There are no mistakes, just happy accidents."





 Here is attempt number two at a seascape painting for my sister. You'll notice the sky is much less yellow, and there's water in this one. However, the picture I wanted to paint had a beautiful crashing wave and sand dunes that I just could not get right for the life of me. So I painted some soft swells and called it good. My aunt fell in love with this one, so she's taking it home with her when she comes to visit on Thanksgiving.


This is the third and final attempt at my sister's seascape painting. After watching this video on YouTube, I was able to get that crashing wave down. Fortunately, I also got the dunes right on this one too. It really is just a matter of practice, I think. Trust me, you don't know how many times I scraped off bad waves before I finally got it just how I wanted. Like Bob Ross said, "Talent is a pursued interest. Anything that you're willing to practice, you can do."

And just for fun, I'm going to share this video with you. If you have time, check out the rest of the PBS remix videos. Catch you later!

No comments: