Saturday, January 7, 2012

One week down, 51 more to go!

How is it that we are already a week into 2012? I never cease to be amazed at time's ability to slip right past me. At any rate, so far my resolution to purchase fewer prepackaged items is going well, in spite of me not being as well prepared as I had hoped to be. (I wanted to make up jars of homemade mixes so that I could still have the prepackaged convenience without actually having bought prepackaged foods, but that hasn't happened yet.) My trips to the grocery store will be shorter, no doubt; I'm finding I can skip past entire aisles. In the kitchen (which I am managing to keep clean, yay!), I have made a few dozen chocolate chip cookies for the hubby's work lunchbox. I also made granola cereal, apple chips for me, experimented with fruit leather, and made my own pudding pops. The pudding pops are yummy, and only 60 calories a piece! I only wish I had had popsicle sticks to use for handles; toothpicks work, but they're pokey. The granola cereal is very tasty, but my husband wishes it had more clusters. The apple chips I made in my dehydrator turned out awesome - just like the ones you buy at the store. The fruit leather also tastes wonderful, I just didn't have quite enough fruit puree, so it's a little thin and stiff. I think my dehydrator may just become my new best friend in the kitchen. My cookies were tasty, but could have been better. The recipe calls for "2/3 cup of shortening (part butter or margarine)," and I used all shortening. Normally this isn't an issue, because I use butter flavored shortening for baking, but I didn't have any this time. I totally should have used a half and half mixure of butter and shortening, because the cookies seemed to be missing something. Next time I'll remember.

Well, that's how my 2012 is going. How's it going for you?

No comments: