Saturday, September 17, 2011

Email Spam

*This is one of my posts I'm "importing" to this blog. It was originally posted back in April 2007, presumably after I deleted an inbox full of spam. I still get these occasionally, but I have ceased to wonder about them. I guess I'm just jaded. Enjoy!*

Just a little thought I had that I wanted to share with you:

We've all gotten one before - that spam email in our inbox with a subject that doesn't make a single bit of sense. Sometimes it's really, really bad grammar. Other times the words are completely made up. Most of the time they end up straight in my bulk mail folder, and I never even see them before they're deleted. But every now and then, one makes it into my inbox, and I wonder, what's the point of that kind of spam? Does anyone out there actually open one of those when they see it? And if they do, what kind of person would seriously open an email with a subject that looks like it came straight out of "Jabberwocky?" I'm curious about the thought process that would precede someone opening an email with a subject that said, "'Twas brillig and the slithy toves..." I don't know about you guys, but when something like that appears in my inbox, I'm all over that delete button lickety-split.

Note: I mean no discredit to Lewis Carroll by mentioning "Jabberwocky" in comparison with spam emails. It's a good, fun poem, and if any of you haven't read it, you can do so here: www.jabberwocky.com

No comments: