Saturday, November 21, 2009

Reclaimed Beads

Occasionally, I create an item from a collection of beads that come from broken jewelry. Once such item is my newest listing on Etsy, a pair of earrings featuring  two metal heart beads that I got from God knows where. They remind me a little of Western or Southwestern beads, something you might see a cowgirl wear.



I didn't list them as reclaimed or mention it in my description just because the heart beads were the only recycled parts. I did, however, list my metal bookmark as reclaimed, because the entire beaded portion was recycled from broken jewelry.



I like creating these pieces because I absolutely hate to waste things. Besides, it provides a challenge to create something out of "leftovers." This is especially the case for me, since I am such a fan of symmetry, and working with salvaged materials doesn't always lend itself to that :).