Thursday, November 12, 2009

Opening my Etsy shop

Back in October, I decided to open up a shop on Etsy. Recently, I had been thinking a lot about my mom-in-law's old flea market shop and how much fun I had helping her make things to sell there. I had really been missing that creative outlet. I love to do crafts, paint, make jewelry, and all kinds of other things, but unfortunately these projects end up cluttering my house. For the sake of not ending up on some reality show like Clean House, I put my crafting on a back-burner. I began to feel like the desire to create was eating me up inside, so that's where Ashley's Crescent Moon Shop came from. I'm not looking to become rich from this little venture, although I admit that would be nice. Really all I want is to be able to make the things I enjoy making, and then find the right person to take them home.

The name I chose for my shop pays homage to my home state, South Carolina. The state flag features a white Palmetto tree and crescent moon on a field of blue, and so too my shop logo features blue colors and a crescent moon. After moving away to New York state with my Navy husband, I became a little homesick. I love the New England scenery, the snow, and the fall foliage, but I miss seeing my family and spending sultry summers on the beach. This small tribute makes me feel a little closer to home.

The kinds of products I will offer in my shop will vary from time to time. I love to try new things, so occasionally I'll make one or two of something and then move on once I've gotten my fill of it. Some crafts that have remained constant with me are beaded jewelry and painted wooden signs. Beadwork is fun because there are literally infinite possibilities when it comes to what you can create. Painting signs is great because it's an awesome way to express your personality. Hanging up a sign in your home with a witty or inspiring phrase is the best way to make your house truly yours.  

So, come check me out on Etsy! I hope you like what you see! Be sure to check out my favorite sellers as well. There are so many talented people creating so many amazing things that you're sure to find something you love.

http://www.ashleyscrescentmoon.etsy.com/

http://www.etsy.com/

Follow me on Twitter: AMCCrescentMoon