Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Superhero Costume Update

Happy belated Labor Day, everyone! I hope you all had a good time on your day off. I have some new photos I want to share with you. I've been working on my little one's Halloween costume. She wants to be a superhero this year, and she's designed it all herself (with a little help from Mom, of course).

So I recently finished her snazzy cape:


As you can see, it's quite flashy. Just the right amount of sparkle for my little one (i.e. A LOT). Anyway, I want to take a minute to brag about the neck of this cape. I used red double-fold bias tape to line the neck so it wouldn't be too itchy. Well, if you remember some of my pics of the quilted exercise mat I did, you know that sewing bias tape isn't my strong suit. However, I NAILED it this time. The neck lining is as smooth as can be! Between advice from my mom-in-law and this tutorial, I finally got a binding I can be proud of. And that was sewing on a curve too!

Beside the cape you see the costume's shiny belt. I love the gold star! I've also finished the mask, which is made from the same purple material as the belt. I don't have a picture of it yet, but I will soon. You may remember me stating that I was done with her tunic. Well... we had a little setback. I was done, until I had the kiddo try it on. It looked just awful. The superhero symbol on her chest was way too big; so much so that it went under her belt. The dress also hung on her like a potato sack. Definitely not the quality a superhero would expect, not by a long shot. So it's back to the sewing machine to fix my mistakes. I've got the tunic finished with the exception of the superhero symbol, and when that's done, I'll take some more pictures.

Currently I'm saving the daunting task of sewing the boots and gloves for last. I'm not confident in my ability to sew stretchy fabric just yet. Good thing it's only the beginning of September, right? TTFN, friends!


No comments: