Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Email from Etsy

I just got an email this morning from Etsy concerning some changes they're making in advertising and the like. One of the changes they'll be making is they're giving shop owners the ability to change the name of their shops. I have given it some thought, and I may just be taking advantage of this ability. When I named my shop, I was homesick for South Carolina, and I thought Ashley's Crescent Moon Shop would be a marketable name for me. Later it became Under the Crescent Moon, because I was still working within my AshleysCrescentMoon username, and I thought it felt less "clunky." That's the name I've kept, and it works better than my original name, but I still feel as if it's too obscure. It makes no hints as to what I sell, my personality, or my target market, and I feel that a good business name should point to at least one of those things. I briefly pondered going with "barefoot" something-or-other, because now that I'm back in the South I go barefoot pretty often, but do you know how many shops on Etsy have "barefoot" in the name? There aren't nearly as many shops with "crescent moon" in the name, but there is a shop called Beneath a Crescent Moon, so I'm not original there either. What should my new name be? I'm pretty sure I should change it, but to what?

4 comments:

Sage said...

What types of things do you plan on selling?? Jewelry I know, signs I know, but what else.

Ashley said...

Anything at all I decide to make that turns out sellable, really. It will be mostly jewelry, signs, some art, and paper goods (e.g. cards and gift tags). I hope to make a good bit of it "green" by recycling stuff and rescuing things from the thrift store and repurposing them. I like Under the Crescent Moon, but I feel detached from it, like it's not my business, ya know?

Ashley said...

I had considered "Scruffy Dog" something, because people think Aiden is cool, but I just don't know if it says me. I could go with "Ladybug" something, but that name is pretty common on Etsy too. It's hard to say what I should come up with.

Sage said...

Think about it before you go to sleep one night..seriously. Ask your dreams to show you a 'name' ..and see what happens. Can't hurt!